What is scar revision?
Scar revision is meant to minimise the scar so that it is more consistent with your surrounding skin tone and texture. Depending on the severity of the scar, revision of the scarred tissue may aid in the restoration of both form and function.
Scar revision must basically improve the appearance without disturbing the function.
Doctor should discuss all possible procedures and all possible outcomes with the patient before starting the scar revision procedure.
What are the objectives of scar revision?
Objectives of scar revision are –
• Camouflage the scar by breaking it into smaller components to make it less noticeable.
• Improve scar direction in relation to cosmetic units.
• Redirect tension to eliminate distortion of anatomical landmarks.
• Eliminate elevation or depression.
• Improvise by lengthening or narrowing.
• Homogenise the colour and texture to match the surrounding skin.
• HIde it either in or along the hair line or anatomical boundary.
What are scars?
Scars are visible signs that remain after a wound has healed. They are unavoidable results of injury or surgery, and their development can be unpredictable. Poor healing may contribute to scars that are obvious, unsightly or disfiguring. Even a wound that heals well can result in a scar that affects your appearance.
What are Types of Scars?
• Hypertrophic Scars – It occurs within the boundaries of the incision or wound.
• Keloids – Generally grow beyond the boundaries of the incision or wound. Most common sites – on the earlobe, shoulder, and over the breastbone. It appears most commonly in dark-skinned individuals.
• Spread Scars – They are wide and the skin is thin.
• Contracture Scars – Are the most severe forms of a scar and usually occur as a result of a loss of a large area of skin. It occurres in patients that have experienced burn injuries.
What are the treatments for scar revision procedure?
Based on the initial consultation, your Dermatologist will determine which scar revision procedure is best for you. Here are some possible options of scar revision :
• Topical creams.
• Non surgical scar revision procedures.
• Surgical scar revision procedure.
Topical creams reduces skin discoloration and reduce visibility of scar in other words aesthetically more acceptable scar.
NON SURGICAL SCAR REVISION PROCEDURES
• Intra Lesional Injections
Intralesional injection, the direct delivery of medication into skin lesions. Intralesional injections are effective for a wide range of indications, are easily performed and are relatively safe. Read more…
• Chemical Peel
A chemical peel is a chemical solution to smooth the texture of your skin by removing the damaged outer layers. Although chemical peels are used mostly on the face, they can also be used to improve the skin on your neck, hands, back & legs. Read more…
• Derma Roller
The actual derma roller is made up of a small, solid wheel attached to a little stick that propels it backwards and forwards across your face in small sections. The roller is covered with hundreds of minuscule “micro-medical” needles that penetrate the skin, creating lots of tiny micro injuries. Read more…
Dermapen is a revolutionary micro-needling device which aims to tighten, lift and rejuvenate skin. The device uses multiple needles that pierce the skin vertically with minimal pain. Read more…
Intense pulsed light, commonly abbreviated as IPL, is a technology used by medical practitioners to perform various skin treatments including hair removal and photo rejuvenation. The technology utilizes a broad spectrum light source, with a general spectral range of 515 to 1200 nm. Read more…
• Microneedling RF (Radio Frequency)
The microneedling RF (Radio Frequency) involves penetration of microneedles into the skin to deliver radiofrequency pulse into the targeted skin. This results in the body’s own production of elastin and collagen fibres, making skin firmer and healthier. It is very safe and useful procedure. Read more…
Filler/Dermal Filler/Skin Filler made from highly purified form of hyaluronic acid that mimics the effects of natural hyaluronic acid. When injected just below the surface of the skin, it adds volume to skin, smoothing unwanted lines and wrinkles. Read more…
SURGICAL SCAR REVISION PROCEDURE
• Surgical Scar Revision
In surgical scar revision procedure dermatosugen does different kinds of surgeries according to scar.